Thursday, August 25, 2011

Bio





(Prairie Life, Antoine Lavoisier, Atmospheric Formation, The Desert at Night)

Everyone knows that Portland wants to put a bird on it, and it seems like Charley Harper bird prints are more all over the place than ever. Remember though, birds are just a tiny part of biology, and it's been reminding me of his gorgeous Giant Golden Book of Biology illustrations, published in 1961 as a gift to children and parents everywhere (allowing "Go read your biology book-now!" demands to be met by nodding heads, and turning slanted teenage eyes back into magical child eyes). I never had a copy of this book myself and biology is the only class I ever failed.

I am now waiting for one of my friends to have children and raise them until they're at least 12, so this can be included in their highly anticipated coming of age present.

No comments: